Thankyou to all the lovely members of MATS Bootcamp 2014 & 2015 - what a community of amazing artists! Through this fabulous network I have come across the Liebster Award. Thanks Adriana Bergstrom for adding me. The intention of this is to spread the word on small blogs and the people behind them. As 2015 is going to the year for me to amp up my illustration work I though it was a great opportunity to share some facts about myself and gain some much needed exposure. The Liebster Award asks that the recipient share 11 random facts about themselves, answer 11 questions, and nominate 11 other blogs with less than 200 followers. Why 11? who knows but here goes...
1 Random Facts About Me
1. I don't usually like to share but feel I need to try harder!
2. I'm really tall. my nickname used to be Gill the Girafffe - cruel!
3. I went to college with zoe ingram and discovered MATS through a random comment from a friend of mine who bough a print from Zoe
4. I moved from Scotland to Australia in 1997. Supposedly for 1 year but never made it back.
5. My favourite colour is green - of any kind.
6. I played rugby (union) for Scotland.
7. I hate my middle name - this is teasing because I am not telling you it.
8. I am not a very good dancer - too tall. But I love it and have a few moves - the lasoo, guns. People who know me will giggle at this.
9. I love crisps, especially salt and vinegar.
10. I have never taken MATS A or B, only bootcamp. Maybe this year?
11. I like to run.
11 Questions from Adriana:
1. What are your art goals for 2015? To blog more! no seriously, to post and promote my illustration work more regularly. To sell more prints.
2. What medium do you use? I start all artwork by sketching in pencil (I especially love progresso charcoal pencils) and I also use colourex inks for watercolour paintings. I then scan and work up the final art digitally using photoshop and/or illustrator.
3. How do you keep your projects and paper-flow organized? I have 2 large A1 portfolios underneath the couch behind me , all painted artwork goes in there - not so organised It seems. My digital files are lovely and neat though!
4. When did you realize you wanted to be an artist? Ever since I realised it could be a job! Primary school I suppose. I went to art school straight after high school and trained in textile design. I have been working as textile designer pretty much ever since, both freelance and inhouse.
5. If you could see your work anywhere in this world, where would that be? Childrens books, stationery.
6. Where do you like to work? Location? in my sunny kitchen. I love to sketch at the bench. Unfortunately the computer is not in such a sunny spot.
7. What are your favorite resources for learning new skills? I google a lot if I don't know how to do something and then I find I learn by doing so I try to use the new skills as often as I can. For drawing and painting I think it is always good to use new materials to challenge your style. I used bits of cardboard to paint a bird yesterday!
8. Do you follow any other art or illustration sites? Not specifically but I am loving instagram at the moment and can get lost for hours searching for great posts. Pinterest is a bit the same, one great image links to another and then you come across some great illustration sites.
9. Are there any quotes or words of inspiration that you keep close when you work? What are they? Don't wait for the right time, just start.
10. What do you do when you can't figure out the solution to a problem in your work? walk away, often overnight. It is always clearer the next day.
11. What advice would you give to someone who wanted to be an artist? Create art put it out there. This is new for me. I know I create great work but have always found it hard to promote myself. But if I don't do it - who will?
I have no idea who to nominate , the whole idea is a leap of faith for me, so I am going to go with people who's work I always seem to be drawn to (although that could mean hundreds) plus a couple of creative friends of mine. I apologise if you have already done this , or have no interest in doing it. Some of you may have more that 200 followers. I am sure you do!
Monica Forsberg, Kate Mason, Este macleod, Rebecca Jones, Sophie Dufresne, Kat Uno, Danielle McDonald, Fiona Gray, Erin Neath, Lamai McCartan, Malu Lenzi
11 Questions for my Nominees
1. What are your art goals for 2015?
2. Have you lived/worked in any different cities around the world?
3. How do you decide what work to post on the internet and what to hold back - do you worry about it?
4. Do you work freelance or full time. Is your illustration work after hours?
5. What is your design background /self trained/art school?
6. What advice would you give to someone who wanted to be an artist?
7. Music or silence while you work, what do you listen to?
8. Coffee or tea, or both?
9. What is your design process?
10. Have you ever shown at a design show - surtex, printsource, indigo etc?
11. have you taken MATS A or B, do you plan to?